Failures & Successes

Experiment One: Spin some (mostly unknown) roving and make it usable

Say hello to my (we thought it was but not so sure now) Lincoln with silk noil roving. There was 8 ounces of this. I spun it ALL. I chain plyed it ALL. I ended up with XXXX bulky yards. It was terrible, seriously. It felt like hair. Not good hair, the gunk you clean out of your shower trap kinda hair. Ick. But I pressed on and spun it all. Waste not want not.

 

Fiber of Doom

Fiber of Doom

It was ugly so I dyed it a lovely shade of red but I still hated touching it so I decided to crochet potholders and felt them.

 

Looks pretty but...

Looks pretty but...

Crocheting it was like crafting with a rough rope but you can never have too many potholders, right? I finished two, one a square and one to be used to slide over the handle of frying pans, and tossed them in a hot washer with a pair of jeans. I washed them over and over. I put them in the dryer. They refused to felt but are oddly mishapen. I don’t know what this stuff is but it’s evil. I am yet undecided if I will just set them on fire and be done with the memories.

They just won't felt

They just won't felt

Experiment Two: Use up 30 year old stashed white cotton by making kitchen towels and cloths and dye them.

Crocheting went great. One was a little crooked, I refused to count. I have never dyed cotton before but soon discovered I used too much water.

Dyeing cotton towels

Dyeing cotton towels

I did a little green then decided on adding a black stripe. There was too much water for the black stripe and I ended up with what looks like grease stains when ironically, I was dyeing them to avoid grease stains from being visible on a kitchen towel.

They will have to do

They will have to do

Experiment Three: Tie-Dye some T-Shirts

This went pretty darned well. Colors blended less than I thought they would, final results are lovely, and I have a bunch of happy kids. I plan on making more as Boy Genius thought he was too cool for a shirt until he saw them finished now he wants one.

Tie Dye!

Experiment Four: Spin a lovely worsted two ply for Little E’s mitts

Pretty merino tencel handspun

Pretty merino tencel handspun

I let the girls pick out anything they wanted from Treasure Goddess’ booth at Maker Faire KC in June and Little E chose 2 ounces of pretty lavender and white superwash merino/tencel roving. She asked me to spin and make fingerless mitts out from it so I got to spinning. I am not a big merino fan when it comes to spinning but anything for Little E. I failed at taking a photo of the braid before I spun it which is a shame because it was absolutely beautiful. The resulting yarn is shiny and soft and delicious, I think she will be very happy with the mitts when I get them made for her birthday.