In October 2011 customers who placed orders to help me put walls up in the attic office got their names immortalized on those new walls (If your name is missing and should be up on the wall of awesome please let me know because I may have not been able to associate your real name from your Ravelry name to put it up there but would love to add it)
In 2012 NGY has grown and grown thanks to those same awesome customers and all the new ones we have met and who have found us. We have grown so much we lost all the community family space in our house so it’s time to relocate it! Currently the pots are spread between the kitchen, laundry room and living room and it’s just not efficient or good for daily living.
We have been lucky that in our 100 year old house we have a big full rock basement with a concrete floor and nice windows. We have spent many hours preparing the basement to move the dye lab to but ran into a major issue – we have to add an additional breaker box to support all the appliances & we need a plumber to update the facets for the laundry sink.
The plan is to move the roasters and crockpots, tables and shelving, add hanging shop lights to improve lighting over the dye area, purchase a gently used stove/oven from a local appliance shop to keep me from having to continue using the kitchen for it, install the breaker box to run power to the lights and appliances, and update the facet to hook up the laundry sink we already purchased for the project.
I looked into putting the project into Kickstarter then decided that since the shop can support it, that’s where it should be hosted. I am counting on the great community that makes up NGY to help me get the word out since I won’t have the exposure from Kickstarter plus since I am hosting this myself if I don’t meet the goal you still get your items which is a greater strain as I lose volume discounts on printed things if I don’t sell enough of them making the entire project a blackhole. Your assistance in getting the word out is crucial. This project is important to us so I want to make it extra special for you too.
To support this project I am putting special items in the shop. This project makes you an investor & these are the rewards for your investment. Here is what is up for offer in the shop:
- $1 – Good karma & a thank you on the Nerd Girl Yarns blog. Available until the goal is met.
- $10 – A guaranteed spot in the Who’s Your Doctor yarn & fiber club for the Fall 2012 run (goes on sale August 15) and a thank you on the Nerd Girl Yarns blog. Only 10 available.
- $10 – A guaranteed spot in the Who’s Your Doctor yarn & fiber club for the Winter 2012-2013 run (goes on sale November 15) and a thank you on the Nerd Girl Yarns blog. Only 20 available.
- $20 – A special limited edition NGY project bag & a thank you on the Nerd Girl Yarns blog. Only 20 available.
- $30 – A special limited edition NGY tote & a thank you on the Nerd Girl Yarns blog. Only 20 available.
- $45 – A special limited edition NGY t-shirt & a thank you on the Nerd Girl Yarns blog. Only 20 available.
- $45 – One skein of a specially dyed limited edition colorway on a luxury yarn base and a thank you on the Nerd Girl Yarns blog. Only 20 available.
- $60 – One skein of spontaneously handspun yarn and a thank you on the Nerd Girl Yarns blog. This yarn will be spun just for you. Only 10 available.
- $90 – Two skeins of a specially dyed limited edition colorway on a luxury yarn base and a thank you on the Nerd Girl Yarns blog. Only 10 available.
- $300 – For the extreme NGY fan – A pair of handknit socks or a handknit shawl just for you in a Nerd Girl Yarns colorway and a thank you on the Nerd Girl Yarns blog. Only 3 available.
The goal is to raise $2000 (before merchant fees to cover the project as well as the cost of the items as they are special order & a more expensive for smaller quantities) so these are all special dye lab relocation project related items & not part of the general work of the shop. Delivery dates of the items will vary, please read the item description in the shop very carefully. I will keep you updated on the progress in the Ravelry group and here on the blog – also results of the charity fundraiser if we go over the goal!
Added bonus for going over the goal:
- Everyone who purchased anything $10 & over will receive a special thank you goodie.
- All net proceeds received over the goal (or over costs of actual project if it ends up costing less) will be made as a contribution to the charity, Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation. This charity raises money to fund pediatric cancer research, assist families with travel expenses for cancer treatments, and promotes cancer education. Learn more at Charity Navigator about ALSF’s charity rating.
Thank you in advance for all your support!