Nerd Girl Yarns is announcing it’s first official call for designs. We are looking for functional and beautiful knit and crochet designs that will fit with our focus for the coming Fall/Winter 2014 colorways. Nerd Girl Yarns customers are members of many fandoms, marathon series watchers, book lovers, and geeks and we would like to continue to inspire them with projects to go with our colorways.
Theme number one has a dystopian feel: Defiance, Divergent, Hunger Games, The Walking Dead, abandoned places, the beauty and functionality of a changed existence. We envision open gauge, textures, attention to and/or quirky details, asymmetrical lines, versatile functionality, distressed features, colorful mixes contrasted with dark washes. Please see our Pinterest mood board for more inspiration.
Theme number two expands on the inspiration from the television series, Warehouse 13, Tesla, Edison, Faraday, antique gadgets… We see quirky detailing, buttons, novelty, math, and loads of funky and nerdy personality. If you haven’t watched Warehouse 13 we invite you to partake in it to get to know the character’s personalities. Please see our Pinterest mood board for more inspiration. This mood board is very conceptual, let the ideas inspire you.
One of our favorite ways to work with designers is to create colorways hand in hand with designer’s visions. If you are interested in working alongside us in this design process, please submit the following:
- Sketch of your design (don’t worry about being an artist, we just need an idea of your plan)
- Clear photo of a swatch of your stitch pattern/gauge (this is especially important if we are trying to make a variegated yarn that won’t pool in ways you aren’t intending). We would prefer this to be on our yarn base that you are planning on working with however, we will send you a sample yarn for swatching if your design is selected before we move forward with the colorway.
- Colorway vision – Are you looking for solids, tonals, subtle variegation or wild patterning? We can flesh out the ideas as we work together in the design process but would like to know what you see when you visualize your pattern. Feel free to attach or link to photos, screenshots or something from the mood boards.
- Detailed pattern/design information including sizing, design attributes
- Designer bio, tell us about yourself and any of your previous designs. Does your heart beat faster for cupcakes? We’d love to get to know you.
- Compensation level you are requesting.
- Information/links to your previous designs or portfolio of your work.
Initial proposals must be submitted by May 1, 2014 to be considered for Fall/Winter 2014. Email your proposal and any attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org. We are looking for up to 6 designs, please see the full document regarding this call here.
All patterns designed in conjunction with Nerd Girl Yarns will be promoted within our Ravelry group, our newsletter, our website, Facebook, and Twitter. Again, initial proposals must be submitted by May 1st to be considered for Fall/Winter 2014. Email your proposal and any attachments to email@example.com. Designers retain full rights to their work.
For general ongoing yarn support in our existing colorways or if you would like to work with us to design a colorway for your creation outside of the scope of this call, please see our Design Support page for more information.
We look forward to partnering with you and seeing what you dream up!